Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Manila, Philippines

Couch Surfing!
I decided to make the Philippines my first place to try couch surfing. Couch Surfing is amazing! I sent one message and instantly I had friends and family in Manila. Even though I didn't have friends or references I sent a link to my Facebook and blog. 

Shengs Street
I ended up on a super interesting local alleyway. Shanty-houses lined the outside of a construction site on the left. An intricate weaving of passageways, steps, and concrete pieces were filled with little streams of water from lady's hand washing clothes. Kids ran around playing games, elders sat outside to talk with their neighbors and have fresh air, the rats and roaches were even welcome and run freely in the alley. Everyone in the neighborhood knew each other. In fact almost everyone was related. Some were cousins or second cousins or friends of sisters of husbands or whatever! Everyone knew each other. The neighbors shared each others refrigerators to save energy and washed each others cloths. All you have to do is open your door and stand in your doorway to talk to the neighbors, sometimes someone will just poke there head into the window and start a conversation or just make a statement. I can only try to put the emotion of the connectivity of this street into words but you have to be there!

The Family
In the morning I was greeted by the entire family and instantly fed delicious home cooked food. The family was huge and members would just pop in and out of the house. I was pressured into eating twice in a row! We eat with our hands and it makes everything more delicious. The bathroom has a toilet without a seat and a big bucket of water with a little pale. With no toilet paper you use the water in the bucket to wash yourself after number 2 and the same bucket is used to pour water over you in the shower. This is such a smart way to conserve water. I had my own room and it was frequently bombarded by all the adorable little kids. I would run around the house playing games with the kids only stopping to let the sweat dry so I could play again. I really felt like part of the family and I know I will go back to visit everyone in Manila.



(in my room)

Sheng, my host, showed me around the malls and taught me Tagalog which is the Philippino language which is mixed with spanish and english worlds. 


Shengs Sister
We had an early morning at Shengs sisters house who has a successful business landscaping certain types of stones. She has a really nice house with a lot of space on the floor so I offered to teach them yoga in the morning. After an intense yoga session we played with the dogs and kids and ate meal after meal. 

I am so grateful to Sheng introducing me to her family. Now I have a family in Manila where I always feel welcome!

(the kids of the house)

(The chef of the house)

(The dogs of the house)




No comments:

Post a Comment